Sangam University has served as a local chapter of "National Program on Technology Enhanced Learning" since 18th December 2018.
NPTEL is an acronym for National Program on Technology Enhanced Learning which is an initiative by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) for creating course contents in engineering and science. NPTEL as a project originated from many deliberations between IITs, Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) during the years 1999-2003. A proposal was jointly put forward by five IITs (Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur and Madras) and IISc for creating contents for more than 100 courses as web based supplements and more than 100 complete video courses, for approximately forty hours of duration per course.
Web supplements were expected to cover materials that could be delivered in approximately forty hours. School of Engineering (Computer Science, Civil, Electrical, Mining and Mechanical), School of Agriculture and School of Basic & Applied Science, School of Arts & Humanities, School of Mass Communication and School of Management Studies programs that all students are required to take in their undergraduate engineering program in India were chosen initially. Contents for the above courses were based on the model curriculum suggested by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and the syllabi of major affiliating Universities in India.
Aims & Objectives
- Sangam University has collaboration with IITs through HOC cell (Under NPTEL local chapter of Online courses) to provide students online courseware in the form of web courses.
- NPTEL is the official SWAYAM national coordinator for engineering. All NPTEL online certification courses are SWAYAM courses too, and they are available on the SWAYAM platform as well.
- NPTEL provides e-learning through online web and video courses in Engineering, sciences, technology, management and humanities.
- NPTEL runs Online Certification Courses that are in great demand in industry.
- Enrolling and learning from the course involves no cost.
- Flexibility for the student as he/she can prioritize his/her time and work at one's own pace.
The basic objective of science and engineering education in India is to devise and guide reforms that will transform India into a strong and vibrant knowledge economy. In this context, the focus areas for NPTEL project have been i) higher education, ii) professional education, iii) distance education and iv) continuous and open learning, roughly in that order of preference. Manpower requirement for trained engineers and technologists is far more than the number of qualified graduates that Indian technical institutions can provide currently. Among these, the number of institutions having fully qualified and trained teachers in all disciplines being taught forms a small fraction.
A majority of teachers are young and inexperienced and are undergraduate degree holders. Therefore, it is important for institutions like IITs, IISc, NITs and other leading Universities in India to disseminate teaching/learning content of high quality through all available media. NPTEL would be among the foremost and an important step in this direction and will use technology for dissemination.
India needs many more teachers for effective implementation of higher education in professional courses. Therefore, methods for training young and inexperienced teachers to enable them carry out their academic responsibilities effectively are a must. NPTEL contents can be used as core curriculum content for training purposes.
A large number of students who are unable to attend scholarly institutions through NPTEL will have access to quality content from them.
- Participants receiving quality instruction and education in select topics and skills can improve their employability and widen their knowledge base, get introduced to new domains.
- Across India and professionals from the industry which will enrich the learning experience.
- Inculcate mode of self-learning.
- Evaluate them-selves on how they compare against the pool of students nationwide.
- After successful completion of the course each participants and mentor are eligible for industry recognized certificate.
- These courses and certificates can be quoted while applying to internships at companies.
Sangam University, being a 'Local Chapter of NPTEL' appeals students to take the benefits of this initiative and enjoy the E-Learning, where they can study as per their mood and play/pause/forward/backward/stop teacher as per grasping limit.
NPTEL Online Courses (MOOC)
- Duration of the courses is 4, 8 or 12 weeks.
- Each week, you need to watch 6 video lectures (of length 20 to 30 minutes) and attempt 1 online quiz at your convenient time.
- It is totally free to enroll, watch video lectures and attempt online quizzes.
- After 2-3 weeks of starting of the course, an option of Registration for Final Exam with the fees of Rs. 1000/1250 will be given. If you're confident enough, you can proceed to the Exam Registration. Certificate from organizing IIT/IISc will be given to the successful candidates of the final exam.
- A scholarship is provided to the participants from a Local Chapter. As per the availability of funds by the sponsors, it may be given this time also.
- The difference between NPTEL and other MOOCs like Coursera, edX, Udacity, is that none of the other organizations conduct offline exams. And it is the only reason for not considering their certificate at a professional level. NPTEL has overcome that problem by conducting final exams at different exam centers in almost each metro city.
- You can learn the subject from the expert faculties of IITs/IISc.
- You can get certified by NPTEL and IITs/IISc.
- In most of the courses, there is a list of industries that will consider this course certificate. NPTEL also shares the toppers' list to those industries for recruitment purpose.
- Points under 100 point's activity.
- Decide the course of your interest.
- Open the site. https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/explorer
- Login from the right top corner.
- Enter your Gmail or Sangam University Email ID and Password.
- Select 'All Running Courses' from the bottom of the page.
- Find your course from the list. (Use Ctrl+F to search.!)
- Join the course.
- Provide your Personal & Educational Details.
- In the question 'Are you a part of an NPTEL local chapter', select YES and choose our university.
- You will receive a confirmation mail from NPTEL along with all course related information and course URL.
- Repeat this procedure if you want to take one more course.
(If you have already enrolled yourself, through edit profile option, make sure that you have selected our university name in the list of Local Chapter.)
It has been observed that it is difficult to complete a course alone. So, motivate your friends to enroll and take a common course in a group of 4-5 students.
Team Leader (SPOC) : Mr. Kuntal Barua
Team Members : Dr. Sunil Yadav, Dr. Vipin Kumari, Mr. Vikas Somani, Mr. Dilip Agarwal, Mr. Abhishek Singh, Mr. Sarnam Singh, Mrs. Priyanka Mehta, Ms. Shalini Pareek, Mr. Ajay Suwalka, Mr. Himanshu Kothari, Mr. Ashish G. Verma